ASCxMike Meeting on NAB flood

πŸ“… February 08, 2019    πŸ‘€
Tools
πŸ“‘ Page history
πŸ“ Suggest an edit

dean-meeting Meeting History

ASCxDean Meeting

February 8, 2019 1:00pm-1:30pm 2nd Floor Lobby

Attendees

Mike Essl (open to all SoA students)

Questions

Can you provide a timeline (to your own understanding) of everything that occurred during the incident?

On Thursday night a coil broke in the heating unit that lowered temperatures and caused a leak. This situation was resolved and fixed. Then on Saturday morning at 5am a sprinkler head went out and a 2” pipe dumped out water from the upper floors of the building. Server closets were affected.

## What damage has so far been assessed and accounted for?

_How do the studios seem to be affected by the incident?_

    Water on 9th floor affected about three studios, water fell straight onto studios. 9 & 5 is minimal as perceived by Mike. Boxes and paper on floors may have damage. Increased humidity curled papers. Studios in painting office space, computer in studio may be affected. 5th floor studios seem to be fine as per Adriana Farmiga. Emmy will reach out to owners of affected studios.
    
_What is the current state of the computer labs?_

    IT is dealing with computer labs. Building should open with everything accessible. (Brooks lab may be more affected. Media labs should be okay).

## What progress has been made since to repair all the damages?

  Drywall in main corridor was falling. Water damage in facade and behind the mesh. There is a need to remove drywall behind the metal mesh, which is incredibly difficult. Two crews testing all drywall and replacing it on-the-spot. Communication will be released today.

## What damages are still in need of addressing before the building can open to accommodate classes?

  Elevators need to be fixed to be ADA compliant and building is continuing to be restored.

When is the building most likely to open to students, faculty, and staff?

No great way to estimate how many repairs will need to be made. Elevators should be fully prepared by today (Friday 2/8). Monday is the planned opening date. Won’t know full extent until students re-occupy space. Will make things work with professors. Also need to find out if these classes need to be re-made up. If they need to be they will be rescheduled. Decided by Middle States. School will find studio space if NAB closure extends beyond Monday. Laura will send message with more nuance to all students. Main fear is mold. Will work with students. β€œGuided Access” provided to selected admin because the building is dangerous. Conservation team and Insurance team leading people through selected areas of the building.

How will the SoA address any potential issues/damages to studios/work in the building?

Materials/Artwork will be replaced by the school. May get immediate reimbursement or have to file an insurance claim, school will work with those affected. Info going out should include a claim form in it. From Mike: apologies on not reaching out directly, he was with alumni in Los Angeles and left before the flood. Laura was on the same trip. Didn’t know the extent of the damage until Thursday when he went on his first guided tour.

What is the insurance (so far) expected to cover?

(Mostly Pending) Insurance is expected to cover most things.

What is preventing faculty/staff from accessing the building?

The school initially allowed Eng. professors into the building and then led to widespread panic as word got out about extent of damage and non-specificity of claims by those professors.

What state is the Lubalin center in?

Lost a little bit of work that was stored under the stairs. Some things may be damaged forever or need to be replaced. All stuff in main flat files should be fine. (Confirmed by Sasha)